Tuesday, November 14, 2017

TOM HAS SOMETHING TO SAY

Marilyn was looking for Mennonite or Amish person that do things you think they wouldn't do or was the usual thing you think a man wouldn't do.  I hope I haven''t gotten you confused.

Anyway, I knit, crochet, do hand sewing and can use a sewing machine.  I know there are certain businesses where men do hand sewing and use a sewing machine, but I do what they might consider ladies sewing.

It started years ago when I was in a foster home.  Some foster homes are nice.  Some are not.  I think the state is coming down more on the bad ones - at least I hope they are.  I learned to sew by hand first.  I was in a foster home with a couple kids and our clothes had wholes, tears, etc. as you get with young kids.  I remember my previous Foster Lady use to sew, maybe I could do that.  So I got string and tried to fill in my pants whole or tear.  At school our teacher, saw my bad job and asked who did it.  When I told her I did, she told me to ask my Foster Mother.  I said I did, she wouldn't do it. I want to learn to sew.  My teacher was not for that, at first.  That was not men's work.  But finally, she showed my how to sew a whole, sew on a button, sew a tear, etc.  Over the years, I have learned more and more until now I can make pants, shirts, sheets, - even made a little dress for our daughter, Bridget.

Knitting and crocheting I learned from one of my Foster Mother's.  As a young child, I always had to keep my hands busy.  If I wasn't doing chores, I was always tapping on the table, druming around or making some noise.  Banging me across the kuckles would not stop me.  My one Foster Mother decided that my fingers working would keep me out of trouble - so she taught me to knit.  She loved to knit.  So it started that she and I would sit in the evening and knit away.  At first I started at scarfs.  I can't could the number of scarfs I made over the years.  Then she taught me how to make slippers, mittons, and more.  Then she taught me how to make things out of pattern books.

The first night I brought my knitting out at home (Jean and David's), we were having an evening together.  The little ones were playing games.  Jean was I think knitting.  Dad my brothers were talking.  Here I come in, sit down, get my yarn and start knitting while keeping up the conversation.  The conversation stopped - eyes opened wide - the stared at me.  At first I didn't get what they were looking at and then I caught on.  I told them what I told you - it keeps my hands busy. Now they are use to me knitting or crocheting.  When I was going with Ruth, I broke it to her before I brought out for her to see.  I think she thought I was kidding.  She was surprised to see me do it.  Sometimes we set in the evening and knit together.

Along the way, I can't remember which one, one of my Foster Mothers taught me how to crochet.  I have made lots of things from crochet, too.  Now I can make quilts out of crochet.

Oh, I do all my farm working and chores.  But, there is something about relaxing in the evening and getting in a little knitting or crocheting.

Be With God,
Thomas


11 comments:

Tom said...

...Thomas, this Thomas wishes that he knew how to do the things you do!

C said...

Tom......Wonderful! This old lady here is still learning more and more about knitting (crochet is more for me) and like you, it keeps me out of trouble! Enjoy.....Chris


Vanssmomc said...

Thomas, how wonderful that you are able to sew, knit and crochet. Maybe someday we can some pictures of some of the items that you have made. Cathy in Webster

littlemancat said...

Thanks for sharing,Thomas! I think it's good to try different things, useful things.
Mary

Vickie said...

Thank you for sharing this Thomas. I am so glad you had many willing teachers along the way. I too would like to see a picture or two of what you have made if you would not mind.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
I will see that Thomas gets your messages. Will see if I can get him let me some picrtures of what he has made.

Marilyn

Bonnie said...

I LOVED reading this about Thomas. I think it's great that he can turn his idle time into something productive and that he enjoys it so much. GOOD for YOU Thomas.
I also knit and crochet, sometimes months go by before I pick up the needles and start again ... usually when I do start knitting again I find it hard to leave it alone.

Joyce said...

I was so happy to read this, like Thomas said it is very relaxing to sit and crochet in the evening and it lets me be productive and out of mischief. I make blankets for Project Linus. I hope Thomas lets you take some pictures of his work.

Dynna said...

Thomas, I think it is great that you know how to do all these wonderful hand works. Men were tailors, I believe, before women. I know I have read about soldiers knitting socks in one of those big wars, maybe both. There is certainly nothing wrong in being so multi talented. Thank you for sharing with us. Blessings on you and Ruth.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
I am keeping Thomas up on all your messages.

Marilyn

evie said...

Good for you Thomas
Men have been knitting for centuries it is quite common in Fishing communities
Please do another post when you have time

evie